Master in Law or Economics with 2 to 3 years of experience in Tax. Fluent in English. Dutch or French is a strong asset.
Shurgard is the largest developer, owner, and operator of self-storage centres in Europe with over 240 self-storage centres in 7 European countries: the Netherlands, France, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Belgium, Germany and Denmark. The company's network currently serves 160,000 customers and employs over 750 people. Its real estate operating revenue and income from property have increased steadily in recent years, as the company increased rental rates across the European network while growing occupancy, alongside development, redevelopment and acquisition activity.
As from October 2018, Shurgard is listed on Euronext Brussels.
Shurgard is looking for a Tax Specialist (m/f) to enforce the Tax Team at the European Headquarters based in Brussels (Groot-Bijgaarden).
The tax specialist reports to the Director of Tax and provide effective support to the Tax team on domestic and foreign tax issues in Europe. To accomplish your tasks, 10% of travelling may be required.
You are a member of a centralized tax department for all tax matters and work within an experienced tax team.
You collaborate with the other department staff on an ad hoc basis.
- You provide relevant support to the reporting team under IFRS and under local GAAP for tax accounting purposes, including but not limited to accounting data collection, IFRS technical research, tax technical analysis and audit support.
- You collaborate with the accounting and finance teams for the preparation of IFRS and local GAAP financial statements.
- You coordinate with external advisors on tax accounting related matters and participate in tax accounting technical discussions with experts.
- You maintain records of tax payments.
- You collect relevant accounting and tax data for tax compliance purposes.
- You prepare draft tax computations and returns which adheres to local rules.
- You coordinate ad hoc assistance from external advisors in compliance context (monitoring of compliance process, manage relationships with external advisors, review of draft tax computations and returns).
- You ensure timely completion of compliance calendar.
- You organize tax filings and payments.
- You participate to the defence of company’s position during local country tax audits.
- You participate in group tax projects.
Process and systems
- You contribute to systems, integration of new entities, maintenance of policies and procedures.
- You strive for continual improvement of Shurgard tax processes.
- You contribute to the development of IT solutions.
- You have a Master’s degree in Economics or Law, preferably with tax specialization or similar through experience.
- You have at least two years of experience within a Big 4 tax team.
- Solid tax law and accounting knowledge at a European level is an asset.
- ERP experience and/or IFRS exposure are a plus.
- You have a very good or fluent knowledge of English. Any other European language skills are considered as a plus.
- You have a working knowledge of Microsoft applications, in particular strong sympathy for Excel and Power Query & Pivot.
- Basic knowledge of Python is a strong asset.
- You have a desire for self-development and learning.
- You are a problem solver who identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyses information skillfully and develops alternative solutions.
- You are able to work well within deadlines.
- You are analytical and able to synthesize diverse information.
- You demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness and your desire to work together makes you a much appreciated colleague.
- You like sharing and collaborating. You want to contribute to a fun and constructive work climate. And needless to say you love to learn and to develop your knowledge and skills.
- Very good, fluent knowledge of English is required. Dutch or French is a strong asset & other European languages are considered as a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications, in particular an advanced level in Excel.
• A full time position and flexible work hours, for a solid European market leader in full expansion.
• Get the opportunity to develop further your technical and soft skills.
• Being part of a fast-moving business with exciting long-term prospects
• A competitive salary package in line with your experience & expertise.