Tax Manager with minimum 6 years of experience in tax within an international context. Fluent in English. Dutch or French is a strong asset.
Shurgard is the largest developer, owner, and operator of self-storage centres in Europe with over 240 self-storage centres in 7 European countries: the Netherlands, France, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Belgium, Germany and Denmark. The company's network currently serves 160,000 customers and employs over 750 people. Its real estate operating revenue and income from property have increased steadily in recent years, as the company increased rental rates across the European network while growing occupancy, alongside development, redevelopment and acquisition activity.
As from October 2018, Shurgard is listed on Euronext Brussels.
Shurgard is looking for a Tax Manager (m/f) to enforce the Tax Team at the European Headquarters based in Brussels (Groot-Bijgaarden).
The Tax Manager provides effective support to the Finance Management team on domestic and foreign tax issues in Europe. He/she will manage projects in an autonomous way and play an active role in coaching and developing the (Senior) Tax Specialists.
The Tax Manager reports to the Director of Tax and works closely with the legal department and the finance department on all tax related matters. To accomplish his/her tasks, limited travelling may be required.
His/her main responsibilities will include:
- Participate to the defence of company’s position during local country tax audits
- Support the Director of Tax in the identification and mitigation of tax risks
- Participate in real estate, corporate acquisition and tax efficiency projects.
- Prepare and analyse the tax related financial reporting and calculations under IFRS and local legislation, including, but not limited to income taxes and deferred taxes.
- Manage ad hoc assistance from external advisors in tax accounting tasks
- Assist the Director of Tax for tax accounting aspects of real estate, corporate acquisitions and tax projects
- Prepare draft tax computations and returns which adheres to local rules.
- Preparation of (in)direct tax & levy returns on a local and European level, in collaboration with Shurgard teams (accounting, finance, HR, real estate, operations, etc.)
- Manage ad hoc assistance from external advisors in compliance context
- Organize tax filings and payments.
Process and systems
- Contribute to European projects: systems, integration of new entities, maintenance of policies and procedures.
- Strive for continual improvement of Shurgard tax processes, especially VAT compliance set-up.
- Contribute in the selection, development and roll-out IT solutions, such as electronic tax filings.
You have a Master Degree in Economics or Law, preferably with tax specialization or similar through experience.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in tax within an international context.
- Having both a Big 4 and industry experience (secondment, …) is a strong asset.
- Solid tax law and accounting knowledge at a European level.
- ERP experience (e.g. Oracle Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) or JD Edwards) is an asset.
- Experience in IFRS is a plus.
- Coordination and management skills.
- Not afraid of responsibilities and process/data ownership.
- Problem solver who identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyses information skillfully and develops alternative solutions.
- Being analytical and able to synthesize diverse information.
- Strong multitasking abilities and mindset.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in the tax & accounting area.
- Ability to work well within deadlines.
- Actively seeks opportunities and has desire for self-development and learning.
- Support change.
- Demonstrates market and business awareness in a broader area.
- Effective team player.
- Very good, fluent knowledge of English is required. Dutch or French is a strong asset & other European languages are considered as a plus.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications, in particular an advanced level in Excel.
- A full time position and flexible work hours, for a solid European market leader in full expansion.
- Get the opportunity to develop further your technical and soft skills.
- Being part of a fast-moving business with exciting long-term prospects.
- A competitive salary package in line with your experience & expertise.