Senior Legal Counsel IP - Digital - Master in Law with at least 5 years of working experience in an international context, preferably in the IP law department of a well-reputed law firm or in the legal department of a multinational company. Excellent knowledge of English and Dutch (or French).
With a history dating back to 1765, Cartamundi is the world’s leading manufacturer of card & board games and digital solutions. With a network of owned sales offices, 14 state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, and a workforce of over 2,500 people, Cartamundi is a prominent and growing supplier to the global cards, games, and toys industry.
Legendary games such as Monopoly® and Pokémon® run off the Cartamundi production lines, as do many different varieties of playing cards and card games for consumers as well as casinos. With its strong brands such as Bicycle®, Bee®, COPAG® and Color Addict®, Cartamundi created a compelling range of playing cards, children’s card games, and family games. These products can be found in major retailers across the globe, contributing to fulfilling the Cartamundi purpose of “Sharing the Magic of Playing Together.”
Cartamundi promotes “play” through their own extensive global portfolio of (playing) card brands. Cartamundi makes continuous investments towards manufacturing & innovating in new & exciting ways to bring ideas to life. This Is what makes Cartamundi the trusted partner of leading toy companies around the world.
We are a family owned company with worldwide headquarters in Turnhout, Belgium. Manufacturing facilities are located in Japan, India, Poland, Spain, Germany, France, Belgium, the United Kingdom, Ireland, United States of America and Brazil.
As Senior Legal Counsel IP - Digital counsel you will coordinate IP matters, advise on legal matters surrounding data protection/privacy and provide commercial legal support to our growing digital business on a global basis. This will include:
- Building a proactive strategy for IP protection (trademarks, copyright, patents) in close cooperating with various stakeholders; managing the group IP portfolio; advising the business on IP matters.
- Assisting the R&D department from ideation of IP to maintenance and protection.
- drafting, reviewing, and negotiating licensing agreements (inbound and outbound) and other commercial agreements.
- Providing legal advice concerning data privacy regulations globally.
- Setting up contractual framework for the sale of innovative digital products and e-commerce platforms, with particular attention to privacy aspects.
- Creating legal forms and best practices; increase awareness on IP and confidentiality requirements.
The Senior Legal Counsel IP - Digital will report to the Group Legal Counsel and will co-operate with the US Legal counsel on IP and Data Protection related matters, as well as with various stakeholders (marketing, R&D, joint-ventures).
- A hands-on legal professional possessing outstanding technical, and analytical skills, communication and influencing skills.
- Education: Master in Law
- Between approximately 5 to 10 years of working experience in an international context, preferably in the IP law department of a well-reputed law firm or in the legal department of a multinational company.
- Excellent contract drafting skills; Ability to write clearly and concisely using a tone of voice suitable for non-legal stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and experience in license agreements and advising on data privacy laws is a must.
- Affinity with e-commerce, e-sports and digital innovation is a plus.
- Languages: Excellent knowledge of English and Dutch (or French). Good knowledge of a second language next to Dutch or French is considered a plus.
- Creative, entrepreneurial mindset, curious mind.
- A self-starter, who is keen to initiate projects and who is capable to take the lead.
- A team player with ability to build rapport with a diverse range of business and legal partners.
- Expertise in commercial law is required with strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills.
- Business oriented, practical.
- Capacity to adapt to and knowledge of a variety of law areas (e.g.: law of new technologies, data protection and unfair competition law) and intellectual property law.
- Open, honest and highest level of professional integrity.
Cartamundi offers you a key position with international exposure in a growing and transitioning business environment. You will be part of a dynamic team and be offered challenging work that you can organize with a high level of autonomy. You can count on a competitive compensation package. Possibility to work 2 or 3 days a week from home.