Lawyer with 4 to 8 years of relevant experience in Financial Services Regulatory law.
Dutch or French native speaker, with excellent knowledge of English.
Our client, DLA Piper, is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Their global reach ensures that they can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
They strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to their clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Their clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public-sector bodies.
DLA Piper is firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For them, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and they know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
The tier 1 financial services and insurance sector team in Belgium is now looking for an additional lawyer with 4 to 8 years of experience for its expanding team.
Their clients include financial institutions, scale-ups and private equity houses. The team is part of a wider Belgian and European team and frequently acts on deals involving their worldwide colleagues, giving their clients access to one of the largest teams in the world.
As a financial services lawyer you assist the clients in national and international matters in the financial services and insurance sector, with a particular focus on regulatory technological developments (FinTech, InsurTech, blockchain, virtual currencies) and in particular:
- contract drafting and negotiation: assist clients with drafting and negotiating their contracts in relation to financial services, insurances, funds, in a B2B (e.g. service, outsourcing, distribution and custody agreements) and B2C context (e.g. general terms and conditions, credit and loan documentation), taking into account general consumer protective and commercial laws;
- product development: assist, manage and launch product development projects relating to payments and financial services in emerging and traditional payment markets, services and products (e.g. mobile applications, transactional websites);
- licensing and complex technology transactions: assist clients with regulatory licenses and applications in relation to payment systems and services, insurances and other financial products and services;
- M&A and capital markets deals: assist clients in regulatory driven transactions (mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and bond issues);
- compliance and enforcement matters: represent our clients in civil, criminal and administrative legal proceedings in the financial services and insurance sector (e.g. market practices, consumer protection, misselling, money laundering, liability of financial institutions and their management, …)
- You have successfully obtained a Belgian Master’s degree in Law and possibly an LL.M abroad. You can show evidence of a strong academic track record;
- You have between 4 and 8 years of relevant experience in Financial Services Regulatory law;
- You are a practical, hands-on team player with particular experience in financial services regulatory advisory work and commercial contracting (preferably in a regulated financial services environment);
- You have excellent language skills: mother tongue level in Dutch or French, and excellent English;
- You have high work standards with strong service orientation and have excellent communication skills;
- You are able to prioritise and you efficiently deal with complex files;
- You are keen on working in a dynamic yet demanding and rewarding context.
Our client offers you a challenging position in a top tier international law firm and a competitive remuneration package.
DLA Piper will invest in your long-term future to ensure you achieve your potential. This includes top-quality work that will challenge and stretch you, regular career conversations and feedback, a clear pathway to progression, career academies at every stage of your advancement, secondments, CR and pro-bono work, an active social calendar and a market-leading salary/benefits package and bonus scheme.