Master in Law with minimum 10 years of experience gained in an international environment. Strong management and leadership skills. Experience in the gaming/gambling area will be considered as a plus.
With over 1,200 employees, 330 of whom are based at the head office in Liège, and a revenue of approximately 250 million euros in 2019, the Gaming1 Group is leader on the Belgian gaming market (casinos, sports betting and poker) – both land-based and online. They aim to become a global reference in the regulated online gaming market by doubling their activity every five years.
They want to offer their customers and employees a smooth, fun and innovative multichannel experience. Their mission is therefore to offer the best responsible gaming experience, geared to regulated online markets, while leveraging our technology and a local land-based or affiliate network.
Gaming1 is also striving to develop a responsible and ethical gaming image. This is something that the group is already working on as a member of the Belgian Association of Gaming Operators (BAGO), which groups the 5 biggest gaming operators in Belgium. In parallel, each partner – Belgian or international – establishes their own responsible gaming policy and tools.
To strengthen their legal team, Gaming 1 is looking for a Legal Director.
- In collaboration with the CEO and CFO, define and implement legal and administrative strategy at the Department level
- Implement the organization of the Department and make the necessary changes to it
- Intervene in cases where regulatory matters are of major importance (e.g. negotiation of a concession)
- Intervene in any legal and administrative case of crucial importance to the group
- Set up and supervise the Transaction Task Forces: Advising management with respect to legal issues related to the development and implementation of the Group’s business strategy, including in relation to the acquisition, disposal and/or restructuring of Group entities or assets
- Stay abreast of legal and regulatory market developments for the Group and organize the structure of the department in such a way that it can best meet the Group’s changing requirements
- Anticipate the company’s legal strategies in a highly-regulated and ever-changing environment
- Conducting legal research as required and providing written analysis of results to stakeholders
Defend the Group’s interests
- Implement policy communications and define policy strategy in collaboration with the Regulatory Officer
- Defend the Group’s interests vis-à-vis administrative and political authorities
- Follow up on regulatory litigation cases with the Regulatory Officer
- Advise the CEO on regulatory matters
- Support the board of directors during the board meetings and more generally support and advise them in all Corporate Governance matters, assuming the role of Corporate Governance Secretary in the sense of the 2020 Corporate Governance Code
- Put in place Group Corporate Governance strategy, in conjunction with the Legal Manager Corporate & HR Legal support
- Advise the CFO on Corporate Governance
- Act as the privileged interlocutor of the directors and shareholders in matters of Corporate Governance
Litigation and Insurance
- Advising the business in relation to any litigation claims made against or by the Group, including but not limited to: claims under customer contracts, insurance policies, workers’ compensation policies and other litigations including regulatory;
- Maintaining Group Litigation register including all of the claims in which any Group company is involved;
- Coordinating with outside counsel any litigation matters;
Consultants and External Legal Support
- Set up a coherent policy for the intervention of consultants ad ensure its correct application
- Overseeing the appointment and conduct of external legal resources, including the scope op work to be conducted by external firms and billing arrangements;
- Maintaining a preferred panel of legal firms for the Group;
- Developing and maintaining the Group legal budget, in consultation with the CFO and in accordance with the Group budget;
Team management, training & development
- Supervise the entire Department with the support of its managers
- Developing and conducting training sessions for staff on relevant legal issues affecting the business, corporate governance and compliance issues, and other relevant legal issues related to the Group
- Master in Law
- At least 10 years of experience, gained in an international environment
- Demonstrated experience in the provision of strategic guidance to national and international business, project management and handling complex legal issues
- Negotiating, drafting and closing complex commercial transactions and providing quick, concise, and practical legal advice and to problem-solve as pro-actively and commercial aggressively as possible
- Negotiating, drafting and closing M&A transactions
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced and pressurized environment and act decisively
- Self-sufficient strong individual with excellent interpersonal skills, as well as a team player, able to provide support to others, when needed
- Experience in the gaming/gambling industry will be considered an advantage
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English and French; a good command of Dutch is not a requirement but would be considered a plus.
More than a job, we will offer you the chance to grow professionally in a fun and young environment with cutting-edge technology. The aim of all our teams is to offer our players the most original and fun experiences possible. At Gaming1, your skills will be valued and you will work together with your colleagues to create and develop a vibrant company, which really pushes itself to the limits when it comes to technology, to create games that people will love.