Master in Law with 8 to 12 years of experience. Understanding of the international markets and (ideally) the financial/insurance industry. Fluency in English is a requirement.
Insurope (www.insurope.com) is a network of independent insurance companies which are providing employee benefit related services to multinational companies across the world.
The core of Insurope's activity is multinational pooling, a system linking employee benefits together for multinational companies.
Insurope has representation in more than 100 countries worldwide through partnerships with locally licensed insurance companies, including some of the leading insurance companies in the world. Insurope’s Headquarters is located in Belgium (Brussels) with regional representation in Europe, USA, and Asia.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for all legal and compliance matters within the organization and will also serve as an advisor/coordinator in regard to regulatory issues for the Insurope Network world-wide.
The major objective of the position is to see that all applicable rules and regulations are correctly reflected in procedures, processes, and systems of the company in the countries where Insurope operates and that these are followed-up on a regular basis.
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for the legal services to accomplish corporate goals, strategies and priorities and will advise the CEO on a variety of legal and compliance issues to support the company’s strategic and operational activities.
The position will be based in Insurope's Company HQ in Brussels.
As Legal counsel you will report to the CEO. Your main tasks will be to:
- respond to contractual agreements and legal inquiries from internal and external stakeholders;
- follow-up the Network agreements, client agreements and other (internal and external) legal documentation;
- handle and advice on all legal issues within the organization, and liaise with external legal advisors when necessary;
- maintain an efficient and cost-effective supplier management structure;
Regulatory & Compliance:
- follow-up legal and regulatory regulations for the operations in Belgium (EU), APAC and the USA, and monitor regular update on legal and regulatory changes which are relevant to the operations of the Company;
- follow-up license requirements and registrations in EU, APAC and the USA;
- follow-up on tax ruling renewal processes;
- ensure the translation of the legal and regulatory and risk framework and rules into precise internal guidelines and instructions;
- maintain and update the compliance program and ensure compliance with Company policies, regulatory, professional & legal requirements and take the necessary measures (training, information, sanctions) to reduce potential compliance and legal risks;
- monitor a risk review structure and lead internal audits and compliance programs;
Management & business support:
- be the Legal Secretary for the Company and the Insurope Network and make sure all formal requirements is met;
- support the CFO in corporate housekeeping;
- ensure the adequate reporting both to internal and external stakeholders;
- You hold a Master Degree in law.
- You have 8 to 12 years of relevant experience.
- You have a good understanding of the international markets and (ideally) of the financial/insurance industry. Knowledge/experience in (International) Employee Benefits is a strong plus.
- You are fluent in English, Dutch and French (written/verbal).
- You have strong communication skills, demonstrating a clear and articulate standard of written and verbal communication in a complex environment.
- You have strong interpersonal/networking skills, with the ability to maintain a variety of relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- You are willing to do more than only to be in an “advisor role” and you have a collaborating attitude.
- You can deliver multiple reporting requirements under tight time pressure.
- You are self-motivated, well-organized, and able to perform tasks independently.
- You have a great sense of organization and planning, process driven and attentive to details.
- You are service-oriented and team-oriented.
- You have high ethical standards and integrity.
The position provides the opportunity to work with a high level of autonomy, exposure and client contact within an international organization.
The selected candidate will be able to work with a wide array of challenging legal, regulatory and compliance issues in many countries.
A motivating and attractive remuneration package, in accordance with your seniority and experience, is offered.