Master in Law with around 5 years of experience in commercial contracts. An excellent knowledge of English and Dutch and a good knowledge of French is required.
The Vandemoortele Group is a family controlled international food group with a leading European position in high-quality frozen bakery products (Bakery Products) and margarines, culinary oils & fats (MCOF) and worldwide activities.
The Group is present in 12 European countries with own sales organizations and/or production sites throughout Europe, in the UK, and in the USA and serves customers in more than 70 countries worldwide.
The group totals a ca. 5.500 strong workforce across Europe and reached a 1.384 million Euro turnover in 2020 (“www.vandemoortele.com”)
Vandemoortele is looking for a Legal Counsel (M/F) to strengthen the Legal & Risk department at the headquarters (Food Experience Center) in Ghent and to give support with the legal aspects of Vandemoortele’ s worldwide business and organization.
The Legal Counsel is a member of the Legal & Risk department at the Headquarters (Ghent).
The legal Counsel mainly assists the Legal and Regulatory Affairs department by providing legal support to all business lines, group services and companies of the Vandemoortele Group in accomplishing their strategies and objectives. The legal Counsel also gives support to the Corporate Housekeeping department (part of the Legal & Risk department).
As a business partner, the Legal Counsel is an expert in contract and economic law. The Legal Counsel is primarily responsible for:
- providing accurate legal advice and solutions based on legal risk assessment to the business in order to ensure legal compliance in a variety of legal areas (commercial law, contract law, market practices law, competition law, intellectual property law, personal data protection law, ICT, etc.);
- cooperating in the day-to day activities of the Secretariat General and functioning as a reliable point of contact for internal customers of different departments within the group (marketing, sales, procurement, R&D, supply chain, tax, F&A, IT, engineering, etc.);
- screening, analyzing, drafting, reviewing, etc. of the contracts to be entered into by the companies of the group (commercial contracts, letters of intent, secrecy agreements, license agreements, purchase and sales agreements, manufacturing services agreements, ITC services outsourcing agreements, etc.);
- assisting in corporate housekeeping activities (accessory): drafting corporate housekeeping documentation, follow-up of the social life of the companies of the Vandemoortele Group;
- supporting the business in the realization of projects (for example investment projects) by dealing with all legal aspects (legal risk assessment), while at the same time understanding the business requirements and needs;
- contributing to the creation of a network of external legal advisors to support the export business development;
- actively follow-up of changes in legislation or new legislation, which can have an impact on the business and translate such legislation to the business;
- contributing to the standardization of the legal documentation (contracts, general terms and conditions, templates, checklists, web based workspaces, etc.) and the development of the IT software tools of the Secretariat General department;
- developing the “legal reflex” of the business, by setting up a.o. legal training, providing legal tools (such as, legal checklists, contract templates, etc. ) in order to help the business partners to work autonomously;
- contributing in the implementation of group policies, procedures, guidelines to reduce the legal risk of each Vandemoortele company (legal entity or organization);
- handling and following-up litigations and court cases;
- management of legal and regulatory compliance risks.
- Master’s degree in law (Belgian law with specialization in economic law, contract law, competition law, fair market practices law, ICT law, company law, European law).
- Around 5 years of solid experience and technical knowledge in the above-mentioned areas, and in particular in drafting and negotiating agreements, gained as a lawyer in a reputable internationally oriented law firm and/or as an in-house legal counsel in a multinational group (preferably in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods).
- Excellent contract drafting skills.
- Experience in dealing with complex matters and multiple stakeholder project management is a plus, as is the holding of a degree or material experience in business administration.
- Languages: Dutch, English (excellent “drafting” skills and spoken knowledge). French (fluent written and spoken). Knowledge of other foreign languages can be a plus.
- Eager to get insight into the business and the corporate structure of the Vandemoortele Group.
- Pro-active, hands-on attitude, pragmatic, initiative–taker, solution oriented.
- Sense of responsibility, integrity, quality and precision.
- Ability to work in a very autonomous way, a strategic mind-set and able to effectively discuss with and advise senior management regarding complex legal matters and challenging situations.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude, stress -resistant and ready to go the extra mile.
- Team player who is both organizationally and a strong communicator able to collaborate cross-functionally and across regions.
- Able to work effectively with people at all levels and eager to learn from and work with your colleagues.
- Strong communication skills; team player, facilitator.
- High degree of professional ethics, discipline and integrity.
- Flexible to travel (occasionally in function of projects).
- An exciting position in a dynamic international oriented food group with focus on growth.
- Principal place of work at the VDM Headquarters in Ghent (Food Experience Center), Belgium.
- The possibility to work autonomously in the legal team and in close contact with the business.
- An open and people oriented company culture.
- An attractive salary plus relevant fringe benefits.