Legal Counsel with 3 to 5 years of experience in insurance and commercial law. Fluent in English. Good knowledge of French.
Cigna Corporation is a global health insurance company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and peace of mind.
Cigna’s products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy and vision care benefits, and other related products including group disability, life and accident coverage. Cigna operates globally, with approximately 170 million customer relationships throughout the world. Strong financial results for the full year 2019 included revenues of over $153bn. The company is headquartered in Bloomfield, Connecticut, US.
January 2020 saw the launch of an exciting, integrated EGS business (European and Global Segments) building on the success of all European business lines to date. Headquartered in Belgium (Antwerp) but with operations around the World including the UK, Spain and Kenya, EGS combines a number of significant businesses serving International Organizations, Governments seeking sector and population health solutions, cover for high net-worth individuals, and their significant corporate business (Global Health Benefits Europe) as well as their domestic operations in the UK and Spain. With major business wins through 2019 this business is well-positioned for the future.
Our client is looking for a Legal Counsel, based primarily in Antwerp, who will be a key and valued contributor to EGS business.
The Legal Counsel will be part of the EMEA Legal and Compliance team and will report to the Chief Legal Counsel based in Madrid. As part of this team the Legal Counsel will be a trusted business partner, asked to shape and stay involved in opportunities and projects from the outset. There will be opportunities to work with senior leaders including the EMEA Regional Legal Counsel, the European Compliance Officer, and business leaders including the Senior Leadership Team of EGS. Externally there will be opportunities to work with law firms and interact with regulators applicable to the EGS business.
The Legal Counsel will work closely with his/her colleagues in Legal and Compliance supporting EGS business with good legal and regulatory advice supporting the operational, strategic and financial aims of EGS. The job content will be excitingly broad in line with the scope of EGS, and will include regulatory advice, contract work, litigation, insurance, advisory work, commercial law and corporate law.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Support Legal and Compliance colleagues to ensure that the EGS business operates successfully within its legal and regulatory framework and requirements.
- Work closely with the business and internal clients worldwide such as Sales & Client Management teams, Account Managers, Underwriters, HR and Finance to support business objectives.
- Provide accurate, relevant and proportionate advice on law and regulation as required.
- Draft, review and advise on all types of legal documents including contracts and group plans, partnership, broker and distribution agreements, NDAs, policy terms and conditions, letters of intent, tender documents and marketing materials and licensing queries.
- Manage claims and litigation.
- Provide support as requested by the line manager or the EMEA Regional Counsel.
- You have a Master degree in law and have 3 to 5 years of experience in the insurance sector.
- You have 3 to 5 years of experience in insurance and commercial law.
- You are fluent in English and have a good knowledge of French.
- You are business minded, result oriented, service driven, flexible, hands-on, pro-active and pragmatic.
- You like an international environment.
- You are well organized and a good communicator.
- You are a team player.
In addition to a motivating and competitive remuneration package, the role offers the opportunity to be part of a supportive team key to the success of a business enjoying strong and exciting growth in a sector which makes a difference to people’s lives.