You hold a Master in Law, ideally completed by a Master in Tax (or equivalent experience), you have a minimum of 5 years of experience, you are French- or Dutch speaking and fluent in English and are interested in working in an investment company.
Cobepa is an independent, privately-held investment company with a net worth of EUR 2.5 billion.
Active since 1957, Cobepa has progressively developed into a well-recognized actor in private equity.
Cobepa has about 25 employees in offices in Brussels and New York. Cobepa is looking to reinforce its
legal & finance team with a Tax & Legal Advisor.
As Tax & Legal Advisor, you will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (Tax) and the Legal Officer
- Reviewing and piloting the tax base of all the companies of the Cobepa group
- Advising on Belgian and cross-border tax structuring arrangements;
- Performing tax risk assessments;
- Reviewing and making ongoing developments to the transfer pricing system;
- Assisting with VAT and tax returns;
- Providing advice on the tax structuring of the long-term incentive plans (with the help of external advisors if necessary);
- Advising the investment team on the tax structuring of new investments (with the help of external advisors if necessary);
- Following-up and analysing new tax rules and their impact on the Cobepa group (Belgium, Luxembourg, France, EU, USA) (e.g. DAC6, FATCA/CRS, etc.)
- Participating to the Tax & Legal Committee of the Belgian Venture Capital and Private Equity Association
- Monitoring certain of Cobepa’s portfolio companies (USA, France): managing the corporate life of the SPVs - following-up on important deadlines - drafting and reviewing legal documentation relating to share sales, capital increases, shareholder loans, LTIPs, etc. punctual legal analysis of agreements - drafting summaries of rights and obligations for Cobepa’s audit – managing proper internal filing
- Participating in certain acquisition processes: reviewing, negotiating and executing confidentiality agreements, release, reliance and engagement letters - helping on the structuring of possible investments (provide tax advice to the team, manage SPV incorporation with lawyers, etc.) – managing KYC/UBO requests - following-up after closing on transaction memorandum, bible, rights and obligations, timeline, communication with accounting, filing, etc.
- Setting-up and managing Cobepa’s Long Term Incentive Plan for the USA: advising on the general tax structuring - drafting and reviewing legal documents - following-up on important deadlines - drafting summaries - compiling relevant documentation
- Managing the corporate housekeeping of Cobepa’s affiliates based in the USA: monitoring corporate obligations – drafting and reviewing legal documentation - following-up on important deadlines - internal filing
- Managing Cobepa’s insurance package: managing the annual updates of the Director’s & Officer’s policy - contacting the Director’s & Officer’s insurer in case of structural changes - approving insurance invoices - assessing Cobepa’s general coverage - updating policies
- Reviewing of and advising on commercial contracts (supplier contracts, services contracts, etc.)
- Assisting on the automatization/digitalization of the legal department (initiatives on e-signature, electronic shareholders registers, electronic Board of Directors, automatic document versioning, etc.
- General back-up of the Legal Officer
- You hold a Master's degree in Law
- You have minimum 5 years (and maximum 10 years) of experience as a lawyer or as an in-house legal counsel in the fields of corporate and tax law
- Your mother tongue is French or Dutch, with excellent oral and written proficiency in English
- You are business-oriented, solution-minded, you have an eye for details and have good analytical skills
- You are curious and proactive
- You like working autonomously and yet also show team spirit
- Recognized and intensively growing family-owned investment company
- Small and high level team
- Diversity in the job itself and in the investments operated by the company
- Strong ethics, stability
- Attractive package and salary benefits