Belgian Master in Law with 3 to 6 years of experience in commercial law, administrative law and/or environmental law and a keen interest in nuclear and energy law. Good command of Dutch, French and English.
ENGIE Electrabel (ENGIE Group) is currently looking for a Legal Counsel to join its Nuclear and Renewable Generation, Procurement & General Affairs Belux Legal Department.
The Nuclear and Renewable Generation, Procurement & General Affairs Legal Department is responsible for legal issues associated with the construction, operation and maintenance of nuclear power stations and renewable energy facilities in Belgium and Luxembourg that are operated by Electrabel or its subsidiaries. They are also responsible for providing legal assistance in the context of purchases related to these activities and to the general business of Electrabel SA. Other Electrabel subsidiaries, including its nuclear offshoots Synatom, Belgonucléaire and others, also consult the department.
You will report to the Head of Legal Nuclear, Large Scale Renewable Energy, Procurement & General Affairs Energy Belux and will be a member of a team comprising several legal counsels.
- You will deal with administrative and environmental law, such as legal issues relating to operating permits, soil remediation, land-use planning (excluding the administrative follow-up of permit applications), contracts concluded with public authorities, especially intermunicipal companies, public procurement, etc.
- You will deal with commercial law, e.g. contracts covering purchases of goods or services, corporate contracts (equipment and installations for generating facilities, fuel, operation and maintenance), partnership contracts for the development of renewable energy projects, contracts and liability issues concerning fuel transportation, etc.
- You will deal with civil law, such as contracts for the acquisition or sale of real estate, including contracts of sale, acreage, usufruct, concessions, and civil liability issues, etc.
- You will deal with corporate law, such as drafting contracts on joint ventures, temporary companies, share sales, etc.
- You will deal with nuclear law and energy law.
- You will deal with financial law in the context of financing renewable energy projects.
- You will deal with IP, IT and privacy questions.
Areas of responsibility:
As legal counsel:
- Study and evaluate a disputed situation, identifying, raising and anticipating any legal questions that may be asked.
- Interpret the law applicable to the situation. Formulate and recommend a solution by fostering consistency between the various stakeholders, with a view to defending and promoting society's interests.
- Analyse any problems.
- Draft, negotiate and ensure the subsequent monitoring of legal aspects of contracts to defend and promote the company's interests. You will also be called upon to participate in negotiations with co-contractors and public authorities.
- Inform, interpret, communicate and explain legislation, doctrine and case law with a view to keeping abreast of applicable and future legislation.
- Involvement in the development of legislation.
- Provide support in the context of contacts with the competent authorities in connection with drafting legislation to protect and promote the company's interests. You will also attend work meetings with various professional federations (UWE, VEV, FEB, EDORA, etc.).
- You have a law degree and solid academic qualifications.
- You have 3 to 6 years of experience in commercial law (contract and corporate law), administrative law and/or environmental law; experience at the bar is a plus.
- You have experience in nuclear and energy law or you are interested in this area of law; you are aware of the issues associated with the energy transition and keen to contribute to the implementation of innovative solutions that can reduce the impact of our energy consumption on the planet.
- You are assertive, proactive, pragmatic and solution-oriented.
- You can clearly and precisely express and defend positions, both orally and in writing.
- You can swiftly identify and deal with key issues and work in a rapidly changing environment.
- You enjoy working in a team and sharing your experience.
- You have a good command (spoken and in writing) of Dutch, French and English.
- You are interested in and capable of understanding the non-legal (i.e. technical, commercial, financial and strategic) aspects of dossiers, and are interested in working with internal clients who are not legal specialists (often engineers).
ENGIE Electrabel offers you:
- A highly competitive salary & fringe benefits package.
- A wide range of training & development opportunities.
- A priority to internal mobility by first presenting new vacancies to their employees.
- A healthy work/life balance is considered as important.
- A wide range of formal and informal networks.