Master in Law with at least 7 years of working experience in an international context - Experience in an international law firm and/or in-house counselling of a multinational company. Ability to communicate fluently in Flemish and English, both written and spoken. French language skills are a plus.
Japan Tobacco International Company was formed in 1999 when the parent company JT Group acquired the non-US operations of R.J. Reynolds. Since then, its international workforce has driven two decades of growth.
Today, JTI has more than 45,000 employees driving its success all over the world. JTI’s mission is to nurture its internationally recognized brand roster while leading the way in Reduced-Risk Products and new ways of doing business. JTI is committed to making its business not only the fastest growing of its kind, but also the most innovative and sustainably run.
Description de la fonction
The Legal Manager will advise JT International Company Netherlands B.V. – Belgian branch (“Belux”), with focus on all the legal matters affecting the business in the Belgium and Luxembourg markets. He works closely with the local management, maintains a good relationship with legal functions in HQ and manages the relationship and work of external counsels. The aim is to achieve corporate and commercial objectives in a manner that ensures compliance with the law and appropriate monitoring and management of legal risk.
The job covers a broad number of legal issues pertaining to the business and includes in any event the following activities:
- Advising on general commercial law matters, including contracts and commercial issues, with a particular emphasis on drafting, reviewing and negotiating general commercial contracts (e.g. trading, purchasing, supply, distribution agreements etc.) and providing pro-active support to various sales channels
- Advising on complex and ever-increasing product regulation
- Advising on competition law and training the business on this area
- Advising on product and packaging developments as well as marketing activities in relation thereto for both the Combusted and RRP business
- Advising on all other areas of law as necessary, including employment, IT, finance, advertising, labelling, consumer protection, data protection and privacy, company secretarial and health and safety
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships within the Belux markets, the Western Europe Region and HQ, and understanding business needs and strategic plans so as to provide pro-active and valued advice
- Working collaboratively with the rest of the Benelux legal team to develop training programs, precedents, guidance notes and updates for commercial management and other employees
- Managing the work of external counsel and other professional advisers within the Belux markets
The Legal Manager will report to the Benelux Legal Director. The role may involve travel within the Benelux region and outside when needed.
- Master in Law (preferably Belgian law qualified). Post-gradual degree in Law is a plus (although not essential)
- At least 5 to 7 years of working experience in an international law firm and/or in-house counselling of a multinational company
- Experience in drafting, reviewing and negotiating general commercial contracts, competition and/or regulatory experience would be desirable;
- Excellent legal and analytical skills with the ability to solve problems, find workable solutions and think creatively.;
- Excellent knowledge of Dutch and English, both written and spoken. French language skills are a plus.
- Other competencies:
- Ability to understand the business, its strategies and needs, its people and its organizational structures;
- Ability to deliver advice and communicate complex legal issues to the business in a clear and logical manner;
- An entrepreneurial mindset in order to achieve competitive advantage for the business;
- Sound judgment when balancing legal risks against the business benefits, protecting the company’s reputation;
- Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines.
JTI offers you a key position with international exposure in a challenging environment. You will be part of a divers and dynamic team and be offered challenging work that you can organize with a high level of autonomy. You can count on a competitive compensation package, company car, group insurance and hospitalization plan.